Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Paperback Odyssey

Going to paperback has been an adventure. I've learned a lot about RGB vs CYMK (Which I can do nothing about given the program I'm using) and how to tackle how printers read images. The first image of Twist I pretty much let 'er rip by brightening the cover up slightly. Then I received an oversaturated DARK cover.

boo

I decided to really lighten and brighten and reduce contrast and saturation on the other one. I stared at the image on the computer tearing up a little, because it looked so washed out! As it turns out, this is what you need to do to get a good print when you are using heavy colors. You'll have to forgive my crappy camera with all the glare because I was next to a lamp.

Notice how in the 1st proof, Silver looks like Violet, the blueberry girl from Willy Wonka. I was really disappointed at how dark it all was, and there was too much blue. So the second image on the right is the second proof, which I'm very happy with. I'm still going to tweak it a little bit more to lighten it (CLICK HERE TO SEE FINAL RESULT)


Here is a comparison of the back. Twist is meant to be lavender with subtle blue tints. But the one on the left is crazy blue, and you can't read the cover art at the bottom. The interesting part is that this pic doesn't even capture how dark it was because of the flash.

So it really pays to run several proofs, even more than three. I'm SO happy with the second proof and will only be making minor adjustments, particularly working on some of the darker areas on the front matter. On a side note, when I get a proof copy directly from the printer, they don't package it very well like Amazon does. Look at the ding on the righthand book!



All this time I thought designing the covers myself was hard work, but having to do a full cover and then contend with inconsistent prints and learning about image language - gah! The great part is I'm learning, and it will make it easier for me with each cover to know what I need to do up front. Yes, I'm taking lots of notes through the trial and error. I'm SOOOOO (lots of o's, look out) happy with the overall look and can't wait for this book to be issued in paperback. I hope that you consider adding it to your shelf!

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for sharing your struggles with color and Create Space. I'm getting ready to go through the same process on one of my books.
    Wish me luck.
    Your second cover looks great. You have a wonderful eye for design.

    ReplyDelete